R E C O R D · C O N N E X I O N
If this page doesn't load with links on the left side, please click here (once) to go to the home page!
Rev. Utah Smith
- Each given year indicates when a song was recorded.
- Personnel on all recordings: Rev. Utah Smith (guitar/vocals) plus an unknown female vocal group.
- For pictures of Rev. Utah Smith, click here.
- Click here for two old B&R columns covering Rev. Utah Smith and Brother Bill Louis.
- CaseQuarter released a book with an 18 track CD including all of Rev. Utah Smith's recordings listed below (except the unreleased Checker titles) plus some tracks by other artists. See the links page for more information and how to obtain a copy of the book and CD.
- A release number marked red, means that a picture is available. Click on a song title or issue (company & number) to see it.
New York City, NY, June 1944
S1131 I Want Two Wings Regis 1004, Manor 1051, Arco 1235, Kay-Ron 1002 S1132 God's Mighty Hand Regis 1004, Manor 1051, Arco 1235, Kay-Ron 1002
* Released as by Rev. Utah Smith the Travelling Evangelist.
* The original release was on Regis (1944), then came Manor (1947), Arco (1950) and Kay-Ron (mid to late 1950's), the latter being a 45rpm release.
New Orleans, LA, Autumn 1947
A8590 I Got Two Wings Two Wing Temple 1/2 -- Glory To Jesus I'm Free Two Wing Temple 1/2
* The 45rpm release has matrix numbers 8453 ("I Got Two Wings") and 8454 ("Glory To Jesus I'm Free") and was probably released c. 1960. * The 78rpm issue exists in two variations. The differences are a switch of numbers and an address given (on one label only). Click here to see both variations of this record. * Both the 45 and the 78 were released as by Rev. Utah Smith and Congregation.
New Orleans, LA, 1947
-- Two Wings (excerpt) BBC broadcast -- Every Man's Got To Lay Down And Die (excerpt) BBC broadcast
* These recordings can be found on side 4 of two transcription discs from april 16, 1947. Click here to see an image. It is not known what Utah Smith performances, if any, are on sides 1, 2 and 3.
Chicago, IL, c. August/September 1953
U7539 Two Wings Checker 785 U7540 God Is Worried unissued U7541 Glory To Jesus unissued U7542 Sermon unissued U7543 Take A Trip Checker 785 U7544 Good Religion unissued U7545 Sermon unissued U7546 Heaven Is Mine unissued
Prob. c. 1955
A Two Wings no label US1 B A New World In My View no label US2
* As by Eld. Utah Smith
As Brother Bill Louis
Prob. Brookhaven, MS, c. 1954/55
A Two Wings Flying Home, Part 1 Magnolia acetate B Two Wings Flying Home, Part 2 Magnolia acetate
Two Wing Temple COGIC Choir
- Unidentified Hymn BBC Broadcast
* From BBC Broadcast "Merry-Go-Round Newsreel: BBC covers the world"
"I Got Two Wings" by Lynn Abbott
Document CD 5222
Cedric J. Hayes and Robert Laughton (The Gospel Discography, 1943-1970)
Blues & Rhythm magazine, No. 79, 1993 (Brother Bill Louis)